Bladder Cancer Specialist in Jacksonville
Bladder cancer develops in the tissues of the bladder. Learning about bladder cancer will help you diagnose and treat it faster, especially if caught early. McIver Clinic has been one of the leading innovators in Urologic Care since 1921. Our board-certified urologists in Jacksonville are expertly trained in the diagnosis of bladder cancer and are dedicated to providing comprehensive care to patients in Jacksonville, FL. They will take the time to diagnose your symptoms and discover the best treatment option for you. For more information, call our urology clinic at (904) 355-6583 to schedule an appointment today.
Bladder Cancer Symptoms
Bladder cancer is a type of cancer that occurs in the cells of the bladder, which is a hollow organ located in the lower part of the abdomen. It is a common cancer that usually affects older people, and it is more common in men than in women.
The symptoms of bladder cancer can vary depending on the stage and severity of the cancer. However, some of the most common symptoms of bladder cancer include:
- Finding blood in urine which causes urine to look rusty or dark red.
- Feeling an urgent need to empty your bladder more often than usual
- Feeling pain when you use the restroom
Common Reasons for Getting Bladder Cancer
When getting diagnosed with any cancer, it’s natural to wonder what caused the disease. Though there is not one definite answer, there are risk factors that may have caused the disease such as:
- Smoking. Smoking tobacco is the most common risk factor in bladder cancer.
- Working around chemicals. People who work in the dye, rubber, chemical, metal, textile, and leather industries have an increased risk of getting bladder cancers because the chemicals they are working with may be cancer-causing.
- Family history of bladder cancer. People with family members who had bladder cancer or having a personal history with bladder cancer increases the risk of getting bladder cancer.
- Arsenic. Arsenic may be found in drinking water in some areas of the world.
Bladder Cancer Stages & Treatment in Jacksonville, FL
In order to properly treat bladder cancer, your doctor needs to learn the extent of the disease. The stages of bladder cancer are:
- Stage 0. The cancer cells are found only on the surface of the inner lining of the bladder.
- Stage I. The tumor has grown deeper into the lining of the bladder
- Stage II. The tumor has invaded the muscle layer of the bladder
- Stage III. The tumor has grown through the muscle to tissues near the bladder.
- Stage IV. The tumor has invaded the wall of the pelvis or abdomen, but has not spread to the lymph nodes.
Depending on the stage, your doctor will treat bladder cancer with surgery, chemotherapy, biological therapy, or radiation therapy.
Schedule an Appointment for Bladder Cancer Treatment in Jacksonville, FL
At McIver Clinic, our board-certified urologists provide comprehensive and compassionate care to patients suffering from bladder cancer in Jacksonville, FL. We understand that receiving any cancer diagnosis can be overwhelming. That is why your urologist will take as much time as you need to answer any questions you may have to determine the best treatment option for you. Contact the McIver Clinic today at (904) 355-6583 to schedule an appointment with a specialist.